Tuesday 3 January 2012

Tuesday AM jan 3rd

Poignant note.
Walking into work a man fell over in front of me. He was having some kind of fit but before my lack of expertise became an issue a man who worked in the Mater joined us. He explained he was having a seizure and we made him comfortable. As the man came to he told me 'I am so disappointed with myself. I drink too much but I just can't stop. I let so many people down, I let my mother down , I feel so guilty.' His name was Donal, he would break your heart.  and me there going 'can I give it up for January?'

I am easing into this 'all new Tom' thing so I still had the normal breakfast (Sultana bran and a banana) One coffee before the show, one during. At lunch I tried to go to Blazing Salads but as I walked in the door they announced 'Sorry Tom, we're just reopening after the break, you'll have to start your diet tomorrow.' Told them I was going to McDonalds, but i was joking. Got a Chicken Ceasar wrap and a box of Rooibos tea. It begins.

Elsa Jones will be live in studio tomorrow at 10.30. She has done up a list of what I should eat (and by extension what you should eat) so we should have a bit more of an idea by then. If you didn't do her blood sugar test - a written thing- its on her website and I will post that address in a minute. Might be worth doing before the show.

HOWEVER. Dr Harry Barry was on the show today talking about diets and changing your life in general so here are some of his words of wisdom. His key is to avoid negatives (I will cut this out) and introduce positives (I will exercise, eat well, drink less)

Exercise: Sign up with a friend to get each other out. 30 minutes a day walking is best. The key is enjoying the walk and egging each other on.
Nutrition: Easier to take the whole house with you than just change your own diet. Just get all the family to sign up to less carbs and more fruit. Elsa will have more on this tomorrow
Alcohol:  Trying to cut it out altogether is setting yourself up to fail. The ideal is to reduce your intake by introducing alcohol free days. At least 3, ideally 5. This is more attainable and leaves you little treats to look forward to. He is a big believer in little treats. I am going to try the 5 day approach.
Cigarettes; Not something I am strong on, but Barry recommends the help of your GP here

Moral: Barry believes we all need to be a little kinder to ourselves. Accept yourself and don't beat yourself up.

In light of the ongoing economic storm and all the doom and gloom he advised.
   1. Try not to dwell on all the bad news
   2. take it one day at a time
   3. Try and enjoy the moment, time with friends, family etc
   4. Try not to dwell on what might happen, only a tiny proportion of what we are afraid will happen ever actually does.

His big message was that regardless of what happens we will always find a way to cope - it is how we are programmed as humans. I think that's a pretty good message.

Right better start to study Elsa's notes Her Web site is http://www.elsajonesnutrition.ie/

No comments:

Post a Comment